The Friday Five is our weekly roundup of links to smart articles and helpful resources about hospice and family caregiving.
1. The Family Caregiver Alliance has a wonderful blog for family caregivers. Take a few minutes to read through past entries, and then bookmark the site so you can continue to follow along. The Alliance blog is very good at addressing issues that affect caregivers, from the practical to the emotional.
2. We enjoyed this article in The Huffington Post about how seniors are embracing online media to stay connected with their loved ones. Elder Care: The (Virtual) Word is Your Oyster offered some great insight as to how seniors can use new social media tools to stay in touch with loved ones who are far away or if the senior is less mobile. There are some great suggestions at the end about elderly bloggers and online communities.
3. Do you have questions about what to do when your loved one has cancer and could be facing the end of his/her life? This is a comprehensive fact sheet from the National Cancer Institute about end of life care for people who have cancer. It's a great piece about what to expect and also includes helpful tips and tools. If you have further questions, or would like additional assistance, call your area hospice.
4. If you have become one of the millions of caregivers caring for a loved one with Alzheimer's or dementia, then we're sure you'll enjoy following this blog from the Alzheimer's Association. The Alzheimer's Association blog features caregiver stories as well as up-to-date information regarding Alzheimer's and dementia research and advocacy.
5. If you or your loved one is living with a serious illness, consider following our monthly e-newsletter. Subscribe to have the newsletter sent to you via e-mail every month, or visit Living with Serious Illness. Within each month's newsletter you'll find helpful information for caregiving, dealing with practical matters, and balancing your emotional health during this difficult time.
Welcome to House of Light, a blog produced and managed by the staff of Casa de la Luz Hospice. Casa de la Luz ("house of light" in Spanish) is a locally owned and operated hospice, serving the city and surrounding communities of Tucson, Arizona. Through this blog, we hope to offer education, information, and support about caregiving and hospice care to terminally ill patients and their loved ones. For more information, visit the contact us page.